11 August 2008

The Games - Day 1 and Day 2








I devoted both Saturday and Sunday to organizing a box of old photos I forgot that I had. I scanned each of them and put into folders on my computer. After scanning I placed the photos into large acid-free envelopes according to family groups and surnames. I bit the bullet and actually tossed some of these photos into the trash because they were too blurry, or a picture of someones foot, etc. In all I kept 75 of them. I want to share just a few of them.
















About a month ago, I wrote a series of posts to the APG maillist about my experiences at Samford University while I was attending the Institute of Genealogical and Historical Research. In one of those posts I told the readers that I was working hard on improving my image after the regent of my DAR chapter popped in for a visit one Saturday morning. She found me in the backyard. I was mowing the lawn wearing my bathing suit and flip-flops, my hair up in a bun that looked like a rat's nest, ipod clipped to said bathing suit, headphones on top of rat's nest and to complete the ensemble - a cigarette hanging out of my mouth! When I came across the photo on the left, I had to smile. There I am with my aunt mowing the lawn. I have become such a fashionista since then.


The middle photo was taken about 1919 in Altoona, Wilson County, Kansas. The little boy on the left is my grandfather Darrell Skillman and his brother Paul is on the right. Look closely at the wheels on the tricycles, they have no rubber on them. No wonder they look so frustrated.

The photo on the right was taken about 1939 in Garnett, Anderson County, Kansas. It is a great example of "Street Photography". Photographers would snap pictures of people as they were walking around town and try to sell them the print. The photographer of this photo made a sale. This is my Grandfather Darrell Skillman and my grandmother Maryellen Harris Skillman and my mother in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment