12 August 2008

Genea-Blogger Games - Day 3 and Day 4


WOW! After all the posts on Samford and Pauline, I am pumped and raring to go. I had no problem completing quite a few of my events during Day 3 and Day 4.

1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources! - I entered 20 new sources into my database for my Delaney family and while I was at it I re-entered another 10 so they would be properly cited. Daniel Derondo Delaney is my 3rd great grandfather and one of my favorite ancestors.

4. Write, Write, Write! - I participated in I Smile For The Camera Carnival by submitting a photo and article about my father. I also went to the Genea-Bloggers picnic over at Bill West's place and submitted an article. I prepared in a draft mode a series of 6 posts about my experience at Samford. I set it up so that the posts would publish one after another every 3 hours.

5. Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness! - I do this on a daily basis already.

1. I am a RAOGK volunteer for San Joaquin County, California.

2. I transcribe records (most recently death and land records) for the Missouri State Archives.

3. I transcribe records for Brigham Young University’s Immigrant Ancestor Project - currently I am working on writer’s petitions which are applications for entrance into the East India Company College. These are all dated from the 1830’s.

4. I am the registrar for El Toyon Chapter NSDAR at the local level and at the national level I am a Lineage Research Lookup Volunteer and I index books for the DAR Library.

5. I am trying to be the editor of the San Joaquin Genealogical Society’s newsletter. The previous editor had to retire and I was appointed to take over until another editor can take over.

6. I transcribed the WPA Graves Registration for the entire county of Poweshiek, Iowa and part of Pocahontas County, Iowa.

I am really in shape for this event and had no problem completing 4 out of 6 events:

A. Comment on a new (to you) genea-blog. I left comments at Brenda Dougall Merriman’s blog - http://brendadougallmerriman.blogspot.com/ and at Brian Nichols’ blog The Mad Genealogist - http://familyhistory101.com/

B. Join another genea-blogger’s blog network on Facebook Blog Networks. I joined 2 networks - Life in Possum Holler - http://cebillingsley.blogspot.com/ and What’s Past is Prologue - http://pastprologue.wordpress.com/

D. Assist another researcher with a research request or lookup. As stated above, I do this daily.

E. Participate in an indexing project. Again, as stated above, I have several ongoing projects that I work on almost daily.

Summary of the first 4 days of competition:
1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources! - 30 citations completed. I have earned a Gold Medal.
3. Organize Your Research! - I have completed events B, C, D and E. I have earned Diamond Medal.
4. Write, Write, Write! - I have completed B and C. I have earned a Silver Medal.
5. Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness! I have completed A, B, D and E. I have earned a Diamond Medal

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I have Delaney's in my tree, too! But mine were beamed here by aliens, so I'm sure they're not related. Just in case: Delaney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job, Sheri! But I don't see "catch up on those newsletters that have been piling up since May." Oh well, gotta walk before running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining my network!

    ReplyDelete