17 October 2009

My Befort Family Increase - SNGF



Here it is, another Saturday Night and time to head on over to Seaver's place for a little Genealogy Fun. Our task is as follows:

1) Pick one of your four great-grandparents - if possible, the one with the most descendants.

2) Create a descendants list for those great-grandparents either by hand or in your software program.

3) Tell us how many descendants, living or dead, are in each generation from those great-grandparents.

4) How many are still living? Of those, how many have you met and exchanged family information with? Are there any that you should make contact with ASAP? Please don't use last names of living people for this - respect their privacy.

5) Write about it in your own blog post, in comments to this post, or in comments or a Note on Facebook.


Well the easy part of this assignment was in making the choice. Randy asked that we use the set of great grandparents with the most descendants. On my mother's side, one set of great grands had two children and the other had only one. On my father's side one set had five children which leaves the fourth set - John Befort and Elizabeth Ernst win the prize with 11 children.


John and Elizabeth came to the U.S. as children with their families from Obermonjou, Russia and settled in the town of Munjor, Ellis County, Kansas. They were among the hundred of thousands of Germans from Russia that immigrated in the years 1876-1880. Most settled in Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado and the Dakotas.




My Befort family, while in Russia for almost 150 years, had settled in a village on the Volga River that was entirely Catholic. All of the settlements were established by their religious persuasion. They were extremely clannish and rarely married or socialized beyond their village. They also continued to speak German, never assimilating into Russians culture, customs or language. When they came to America, they behaved the same way. My father's generation was the first to speak and use English as the primary language.






My grandparents Edmund Robert Beffort and Myrtle Borgstadter & sons.
My father is on the far right.








John Befort and Elizabeth Ernst created the following Befort dynasty:





11 children - I have met only 1: my grandfather. I believe that all 11 children are deceased



33 grandchildren - I have met 4: my father and his 3 brothers. Out of the 33 grandchildren I know that 4 are deceased.



27 great grandchildren - I have met 6 1/2: me and my brothers, the 1/2 is a cousin I recently came in contact with and we have talked on the phone but have not met in person. I do not know if all 27 great grandchildren are living.



21 great great grandchildren - I have met 8: my 3 boys, 5 nieces and 1 nephew. As with the above, I do not know if all 21 great great grandchildren are living.



That's it. A family increase of 92 that I can track down. I would like to think that there are more out there. Jeeeze Loueeze, I have some work to do with this branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment