07 November 2009

Don't Make Me Have To Pull You Out Of A Hat!




That's my new line I give to people when I find out they aren't Graveyard Rabbits yet. I am truly surprised that some people still haven't heard about the Graveyard Rabbit Association. Are you one of them?
From the GYR website:


"The Graveyard Rabbit Association is an association dedicated to the academic promotion of the historical importance of cemeteries, grave markers, and the family history to be learned from a study of burial customs, burying grounds, and tombstones; and the social promotion of the study of cemeteries, the preservation of cemeteries, and the transcription of genealogical/historical information written in cemeteries. There are no dues or fees for becoming a member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits. "


In plain English a rabbit is someone who has a blog devoted entirely to cemeteries, tombstones, burial customs, etc. Some Rabbits go out and take photos and upload them to their blogs, others do transcriptions of headstones. Some adopt one cemetery in particular while others cover an entire county or state. Bottom line - it's all about preserving and learning.


GYRabbit Membership Requirements


A. You must start a blog devoted exclusively to articles about cemeteries, grave markers, burial customs, the study of cemeteries, transcriptions of tombstones, or the preservation of cemeteries.


B. Your membership blog must include a statement in your banner that you are a member of The Association of Graveyard Rabbits and display the association's logo.

C. The articles you post at your Graveyard Rabbit blog should be about cemeteries, grave markers, burial customs, and information relating to burying grounds or specific gravestones.


To join, simply click here and follow the directions - tell them that I sent you.


Once you are an official Rabbit, then I can feature you in the "Meet A Rabbit" column that spotlights new Rabbits as a way to introduce you to the world.

4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to be a GYR but the clause that I had to be invited by someone to be able to join always scares me off- perhaps others feel weird about asking someone for an invite also.

    By the way, I'm joining the San Joaquin Genealogical Society- just sent in my application a few days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah! Does this mean you'll be coming to the meetings? LOL OK I won't push my luck LOL

    Re: The GYR That clause should have never been in there and is actually null and void. EVERYONE is invited to become a GYR. The only requirement is that you want to be one and that the blog you submit is dedicated to cemeteries, tombstones, etc.. any subject that falls into the general area. It is like the Geneabloggers - no rules, no dues, etc.

    So come and join us Leah! Will you be the 50th Rabbit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Thanks for clarifying that for me, Sheri. I just submitted my application and set up my GYR blog! Here it is: http://sactogyr.blogspot.com/

    This is something I've been wanting to do for awhile - I wish I'd asked someone about joining sooner!

    I don't think I'll be able to make it to a SJGS meeting anytime soon, but I will try and clear my calendar at those times. But even if I can't make it to a meeting, I can still enjoy the lovely newsletter! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed by your blog and would like to give you the "Kreativ Blogger" award. You can find more information on my blog at:
    http://banjosandbabydolls.blogspot.com/2009/11/kreativ-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete