18 September 2012

OMG! I Love Rhode Island!

It has been ages since I have written on my blog, however I have been kept extremely busy with a long term research project for a dream client. This client is so dreamy she sent me to Rhode Island to research her family more in depth. And so here I am in Rhode Island as I write this.





Rhode Island is a state that has few to almost no digital images of any kind of records. FamilySearch has digital images of the Rhode Island State Census 1885, 1905, 1915, 1925, 1935. They have also indexed some birth, marriage and death records but no digital images of those records.

Rhode Island is also a state where vital records are kept at the town level. Nothing is held at the county level. So if you don't know exactly which town the event occurred, then you are pretty much screwed unless it is in the Arnold Collection which is only records up to 1850.

Birth and marriage records 100 years or older and death records 50 years or older are considered public records and may be obtained from the city or town hall where the event happened or through the Rhode Island State Archives.

I have found some of the Arnold Collection volumes over at Internet Archives. Boy oh boy, what was this Arnold guy thinking when he put these books together? I almost need to take a class on how to use the books!

I had the best experience with the ladies of the town clerk's office in Exeter. The office is located at 675 Ten Rod Road, Exeter. The town clerk Lynn Hawkins, Deputy Clerk Ruth Stone and Asst. Pat Whitford were so very helpful and friendly. No one will give you the old "eye roll" in this place. Jeeze the place looks like my great grandmother's house - not an office building!



Yes it is going to be a good week here. How do I know this? It's because of my rental car - it is a "arrest me right now red" colored camero!!!

13 comments:

  1. Agreed! Rhode Island is a special place. I was a reporter at two television stations there - many moons ago - and was able to see so much of the area.

    For quaint, historic areas - if you have time - visit Bristol and Wickford. And Newport is great now that all of the summer tourists are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Rhode Island is a special place. I was a reporter at two television stations there - many moons ago - and was able to see so much of the area.

    For quaint, historic areas - if you have time - visit Bristol and Wickford. And Newport is great now that all of the summer tourists are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab experience for you. You keep pinching yourself to prove your dream client is not all a dream, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to be the Wingman in a red sportscar. Keep 'em on their toes, Sheri-gal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most awesome! I have some RI ancestors. I may pick your brain if I ever get to that branch of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a professional genealogist is sounding better and better. Where else can you get an all expense paid trip (doing something you love) to a beautiful place with friendly people AND get to drive around in a red camaro (always wanted one)! You go girl! Just don't get arrested in that red camaro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be sure to drink a cabinet! You might have to ask somebody who serves them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the research, and the hire car! Very coooool :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. From black-and-yellow to red, I'm glad you are living your dream! Don't pinch...just enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sassy pro genealogist solves history mysteries and drives a red Camaro. This has television pilot written all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lived on the East Side of Providence for eleven years and STILL miss it after twenty-five years. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete